What is an attendance allowance?

Did you know there are several non means-tested allowances that could help towards the cost of your private care? Kingsway Care can help you understand what is available and assist with your application. In this post you can learn more about the non-means tested Attendance Allowance.

“The current weekly figures are £59.70 for the lower rate and £89.15 for the higher rate.”

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability which is severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.  Attendance Allowance is a non-means tested (not affected by any savings or income you might have), tax-free state benefit, payable to all individuals over the age of 65 who have needed care (defined as help with essential daily tasks, such as washing and dressing) for longer than six consecutive months, regardless of whether or not you are in a care home.

Caregiver helping to shave client’s beard.

A little extra money can go a long way

Attendance Allowance is available at two rates: a lower rate, for those who need help during the day OR the night and a higher rate, for those needing care during both the day and night. The current weekly figures are £59.70 for the lower rate and £89.15 for the higher rate.  A little extra money can go a long way and you can use it in any way you like to meet your needs and remain independent in your own home. The money does not have to be spent on a carer.

These rates apply from April 2020 to April 2021.  It is usually paid every 4 weeks.

Do you meet all the criteria below?

You can claim Attendance Allowance if you meet ALL of the following criteria:

  • If you are over State Pension age (if you haven’t reached it, you may be eligible for a Personal Independence Payment instead)
  • If you would benefit from help with personal care, such as getting washed or dressed, or supervision to keep you safe during the day or night.
  • If you have any type of disability or illness, including sight or hearing impairments, or mental health issues such as dementia.
  • If you have needed help for at least 6 months (if you’re terminally ill, you can make a claim straight away.)
  • It isn’t necessary for you to be receiving assistance already; as long as you would benefit from support, you will meet the criteria.

Individuals needing care under the age of 65 will still qualify for an allowance, but this is paid in the form of a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (formerly Disability Living Allowance).  You can claim for PIP or Attendance Allowance, but not both. You can apply for PIP by calling the Department of Work and Pensions on 0800 917 2222.

How do I claim Attendance Allowance?

You can apply for Attendance Allowance by completing the online form at www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance or by obtaining a form from a larger Post Office, Citizens’ Advice Bureau, Age Concern Shop, or the Benefits Agency themselvesYou can also get a claim form by calling the Attendance Allowance helpline on 0800 731 0122 (textphone: 0800 731 0317).

Kingsway Care is here to help you

Deciding how to meet the cost of long-term care has become an increasingly daunting process for elderly people and their families.  People are frequently left confused and unsure regarding what funding may be available to them and how much they may be required to fund themselves.

Kingsway Care is here to help you understand this complex area and consider all of the options available to you. Both through our in-house knowledge and through relationships we have with specialists in financing long-term care for the elderly. It is vital that you are able to achieve the most suitable arrangement for you and your family, particularly if your care needs are long-term.

“Each year up to £3.5bn of Pension Credit and Housing Benefit goes unclaimed by older people. Let us help make it easier!” 

Contact our friendly team for an informal chat on 01273 077444 or email info@kingswaycare.com and we will phone you back.

Related Posts